Monday, February 18, 2008

Pledge of Disobediance

I was originally planning to do a post on the particularly riveting religious escapades of this evening but Matt got me so worked up politically that I can't resist regurgitating my plight.

I do not say the pledge of allegiance. Ever. I stopped when I was a sophomore in high school and haven't since. I did it then to be a non-conformist and have only recently discovered now why I never picked it up again.

I cannot blindly recite an oath and swear before God stating that I am forever loyal to the country of my origin. Not only do I believe that separation of Church and state is a must (in this case, however, for the rhythm of the oath, I would not omit "Under God"), but paying attention to the words that come out of your mouth is a practice everyone in the world should follow. And I know that I do not fully appreciate the country I live in in order to truthfully say those words. It's like communion in the Catholic church- taking communion to a non-Catholic means drinking bad wine and chewing a cardboard wafer to represent ingesting the body of Christ. To a Catholic, you are committing cannibalism each time you do it, actually ingesting the body of Jesus into your body. As a proud American, I would hope to feel more uplifted and have more of a sense of pride by stating the pledge. But until I can truly see how good I have it in my home country, I cannot pledge my allegiance.

I want to live in a country that I want my children to grow up to be grateful for. I want to live in a country that is renowned for making peaceable decisions that benefit their constituency and not just their politicians. I want to truly live in the land of the free and the home of the brave. And until we can eliminate and neuter the idiots who breed these days, I can't be happy to be an American. I can't be happy in a country where people cannot have the right to choose whether or not they can marry someone of the same sex or have the ability to have an abortion.

I can't be happy in a country where they do not separate the dumb kids from the smart kids and use the smart ones to their advantage and full potential, instead of pursuing the futile thought that these dumbass paste-eating anklebiters may actually have a shot at a well-paying job in the future. I hate to sound like a judgmental bitch but that No- Child-Left- Behind shit is useless and is an insult to honors students. It waters down the intelligence people have to offer and sets standards that are educationally appalling. Pay for the smart kids to go to college; don't have tests that idiots can pass. Follow Britain's example and raise children to know history based on dates. Teach rhetoric. Do not ask "what is the shape of the tip of a pencil?" on a national standardized test. No wonder people in Europe make fun of our accents and everything we do…

I want to live in a country where I can do what I want in my own house. It used to be somewhat legal to smoke crack in your house and the government couldn't do a damn thing about it. Then some bitch complained and it was all taken away. It is my property and I want to be able to do what I want on the turf I pay to live on. Legalize marijuana if it is proven nothing bad has come of it besides the loss of the occasional brain cell. They tax cigarettes out the ass; why not do the same with pot? There is no harm in it and it saves a lot of kids getting into trouble on the black market and buying a bag of Chronic that's laced with God only knows what. If it's government regulated, it can't be that bad and it contributes to the economy in a beneficial manner.

I would be happy if my country could just adhere to my "Live and Let Live" policy. Take advantage of things that can be used to your advantage. That's why they are there and that is their purpose. I will be happy to be the next Che Guavara (albeit not an advocate for Communism) and take the role of being a revolutionary. I believe in the freedoms that we have in the constitution and I do not like how day by day one of them suddenly goes off the map like Jimmy Hoffa. And I may actually start fighting for my freedoms one of these days.

1 comment:

Sean D'aigle said...

I pledge allegiance to no flag,
No country, and no gods,
Only to my brothers and sisters,
For which I fight,
One people,
One struggle,
Incorruptible,
For liberty and justice for all.

Now, to throw in a quote from someone else: "You and I are missing persons 'til we're counted in the streets!" -Tom Morello

Sovereignty,
Sean D'aigle