Wednesday, February 13, 2008

How Sick Can Dogs Get?

I had a very eventful day yesterday. I woke up at about 6, wanting to die. I felt like I swallowed insulation like cotton candy and was repeatedly coughing it up. But I decided to go to school anyway because I felt better than I had the day before, believe it or not.

So I get to school and my friend Anikah (She's Hungarian. I'd love to know how to spell her name because I love saying it. It has a guttural noise.) told me about how the health clinic here would give you a free doctor's appointment and if you need a prescription, they can give it to you for cheap. I'm tickled by this idea and I decide to walk down to the clinic to do this.

So I walk to the Wellness Center, where I would think the clinic would be nearby. It's not. It's all the way across campus, down the back hill, across the street, behind the dorms. I take a small hike to building 52, open the door to find a basket of flavored condoms (which doesn't make sense because they're only supposed to be used for ORAL sex not INTERCOURSE; sure, it's better than nothing, but sex ed could be better) and little boxes filled with free pain medication. I take six in case I lose one and step up to the counter, make my appointment and sit in the waiting room. I saw all these posters that basically said, "THIS INFECTION COULD BE LURKING IN YOUR VADGE. YOU DON'T KNOW AND EVEN IF IT ISN'T, YOU SHOULD TELL YOUR PARTNER OR ANYONE YOU MAY SLEEP WITH. TAKE SOME FLAVORED CONDOMS."

I eventually go in for my appointment and the nurse I got, she was a little short and haughty. Very Christina Yang. Eventually she developed a sense of humor or at least felt comfortable. The nurse shadowing her was nice.

Although I couldn't remember the last time I menstruated so they looked at me and were like, "Could you be pregnant? Why didn't you take some flavored condoms?" I just lied and said sometime in January, which I think was right but as long as I'm not having sex, I don't think I need to keep track of it. I hate it anyway and the cramps that accompany it.

Nurse swabs my throat with a long green cutip and is extra surprised that I didn't gag (I should have told her I'm very experienced with flavored condoms-lol; truth is, I have next to nothing of a gag reflex) and she puts the swab onto a plastic doohickey and has me wait for ten minutes to see if I have strep throat. She comes back looks at it, does a double take and says, "Huh! You actually do have strep. I didn't think you'd have it. Have some penicillin." I look at the strep test and it reminds me of a pregnancy test, making me think, "That little plus-sign is so unholy."

So I got to miss class (but shh-don't tell my parents). And I skipped out on most of rehearsal even though I tried to function but ended up being pathetic. And once I got home, I was in a 2 hour coma in my bed, happy as hell.

Now, when I cough, it's still productive but it doesn't hurt. I'm very congested but I'd rather be congested than extremely dry. So I'm getting better and I'm getting happier.

No comments: