Sunday, February 3, 2008

The Lesser of Two Awkwards

Yesterday was going to be a good day. I had hung out with Lisa, Jess and Rachel the previous night and despite the fact that we were all penniless as VH1 celebreality has-beens, we managed to have a good bit of fun and agreed to do it the next night. I agreed to accompany Jess the next day to sell her 8 textbooks.

I woke up yesterday and putzed around, dolled up my myspace, took a shower, called Jess and she tells me that she’ll be later than expected because Rachel’s insipid, monochromosomal raccoon/dog mix Luke committed doggy vandalism to their living room. Apparently dogs hold grudges and when they get pissed off or bored, they say “To Hell with the hands that feed me,” chew up the couch, 2 unopened packs of cigarettes, an expensive Lane Bryant bra, and various other unmentionable objects, and then return to their ever-present shit-eating grin with dopey eyes.

And people still wonder why I am a cat person. The worst they can do is claw up the furniture. They don’t chew up much.

But I really needed to leave my house because Mom morphed into Mr. Hyde every fifteen minutes so I offered my hands to manual labor to save my sanity.

Jess took a while so I played Morrowind for about 20 minutes. I have had my Xbox for about four years and have had that game since we bought the console, so it’s understandable that it isn’t in pique condition anymore. But it was decent when I was the only one playing it because I wouldn’t have many games saved on it. Since my sister and mother have been playing, however, memory has been taken up with a ridiculous amount of saved games. My one game I had started when I first got the console. I was a level 60 assassin with a badass sword (several of them, in fact), entire towns fearing the very mention of my name, and a small cult following. I was invincible, omnipresent, and powerful. I loved my character.

So I load that game and three minutes into it, I decide to save before going into a cave when the screen goes black and tells me “Your disk might be dirty. Press A to Continue.” So I do BUT MY GAME EST DISPARU!

It’s completely gone. All that work, all the grief I got from my mother for killing everyone, all the fat loots. Bye bye.

At least mom was more sympathetic.

Apart from hanging out with friends and losing a complete chapter in my life, I made three decisions last night:

1.) When the play is over, I will hopefully be driving Professor Bruno better than I can now (enough to be allowed to take him out by myself as my car). So I will try like Hell to be employed as a server. They make a decent amount of cash which I like a lot better than a check) and I am such a people person that I can deal with damn near anybody.
2.) I would ideally like to live in the Brumby lofts right down the street from the square. The rent is pricey for just a studio but I can always abandon my dreams and find a cheaper studio. But they’re lofts, they’re nice, and it’s really close to the square. Funny that one has to pay outrageous prices to live the bohemian lifestyle and I have to aspire to do that.
3.) I have decided where I will go to Graduate school! I hope to get into Tisch in New York. Albeit, that is a long way off and a bucket of money in denominations I have never seen, but I would love to finally go to school up there. I wanted to do it originally for undergrad but it was like half a million dollars to go for all four years. I decided against it because I didn’t want to put that kind of debt on my parents, let alone myself.

But that’s a mini outline of how Lee wants her life to go. In that order! I expect friends to help me stick to it because I want to succeed at theatre and actually have something to show for it. And people can suggest side projects. I think after I get a job, it’ll probably take me a good while to save the money to pay for my own place. But I’ll be happy to do that.

That was much to long of a post. Oh well. I hope it was informative, inspirational, and indisputably the most life-affirming thing you’ve read today.

No comments: