Tuesday, March 4, 2008

I Spy With My Little Eye Something Beginning With R: Regina

To commence the dawning of the break of spring, I went to see Regina Spektor at the Tabernacle with Hannah. Her gay Pagan friend had to flake out on us, so I made a few phone calls and had Prashaanth take the common place of pimp and male chaperone. We got there at about 7 after traffic and parking shenanigans and took our seats along the side of the first balcony.


Only Son (click for his website) opened at about 8:10. He was this lone lanky looking Jewish boy with a fro and nose to match who came out with this acoustic/electric orgasm of a guitar and played a solo act. He had a Perry Farrell esque singing voice with riffs akin to Smashing Pumpkins at times and one song that had a "Bron-Y-Aur" stomp feel to it. In the middle of his set he digressed, asking us if we noticed that he "fired his band [because] they wanted `money' to `feed their families'." He then decided to play with his iPod, which became a character in the act, He was a humble performer who thanked the audience after every song and had a good dry comic delivery. Did I mention how adorable he was?


This face with a yarmulke? I would totally bring him home to my mother and she'd not be surprised in the least. In short- he's grossly entertaining so check him out and make his album sales go up.

Prashannth went out to have a cigarette, came back and told us he'd "never seen such a collection of preteens and emo kids in one place" and I believed every word of it.

Regina came on to roaring applause and did a wonderful a cappella intro and after "Sailor Song" (my favorite), she said "Thanks for coming back!" Rightfully so, seeing as how she postponed the show twice.

Concert went on like this:
  • Ain't No Cover (a cappella)
  • On the Radio
  • Sailor Song
  • The Flowers
  • Baby Jesus
  • Better
  • Bobbin' for Apples (favorite song lyrics: "Someone next door is fucking to one of my songs")
  • That Time
  • Après Moi
  • The Wallet
  • Small Town Moon
  • Music Box
  • Human of the Year
  • Poor Little Rich Boy
  • Time is All Around
  • Summer in the City
  • Ghost of Corporate Future
Encore:
  • Us
  • Field Below
  • Fidelity
  • The Hotel Song (which Only Son guest starred on as a beatboxer)
  • Samson
All and all a damn good show. I was surprised at how many seats were still available and the lack of dancing that went on. Hannah and I got up to go dance to "That Time" and we were the only people dancing. Regina was very humble as well and had this little speaking voice that sounded so sweet but she would swear like a sailor. During "Poor Little Rich Boy", she drummed with her right hand and played the piano with the left. It was pretty awesome see her multi-task like that. She also messed up during "Music Box" and couldn't remember the lyrics that followed another and said "JC Penny, don't fail me now!" She improvised well, played astoundingly on the pianoe, and wailed her lungs out. I walked out feeling a sense of self-loathing and doubt at how I probably will never play as well as she does. Or cut a record deal. I like, though, that she plays piano and guitar, as do I, and that maybe by the grace of God, I'll be able to play as well as she does someday.

It looked like everyone had a good time. I wanted to find her after the show but it got cold standing out by the bus so we abandoned that idea and headed out.


No comments: