Sunday, May 4, 2008

Every Frivolous Whim- Proper or Im

Happy Cinco de Mayo to all you people who run blindly through any excuse to Tequila yourself into a coma.

I have now completed my freshman year in college and it has been a delightful experience. I have made some amazing friends, worked with some frighteningly talented actors, and have gained awareness of all the fine opportunities that my school has to offer. I did not attend any ridiculously crazy keggers with frat boys, I avoided the corn syrup teeth-rotting sweetness of sorority girls, and I spent many nights playing laser tag into the wee hours of the morn. I studied less than I should have and am fully aware that my grades will suffer from that. I may take a leaf out of the Puckett and Phil volumes to participate in plays, KSU Tellers, and keep my grades up by forfeiting any vestige of social life. Of course, I will also have to keep having a job in this perspective if I want to have any kind of money at all.

I did not fully get laid, nor did I wake up next to a stranger fumbling for my clothes and the door at the same time in a silent manor. I did not gain an unbelievable amount of weight. I did dye my hair red with the blood of an ostrich and plan on getting my cartilage pierced and my tree tattoo that says "Never let the weeds get higher than the garden." I think if any quote is appropriate, Mr. Waits is a sure-fire candidate.

I have performed in an amazing show and some pretty sweet projects. Like today in Performance Studies for our final we had to create our own performance art piece and ours was about feminine beauty and the horrors that girls encounter every day with the questions about how they look, dress, act, and the burdens a materialistic society drops on them. I was caked in grotesque make-up and went up to our classmate spectators and asked them if they thought I was pretty while my coy group mates snickered at my expense. All this was intentional to show that it's a pretty catty world amongst the female species.

I had my first relationship, my first kiss, and my first break-up. I had my first shot of Jager. I learned to drive my first car. Hell, I learned to drive a stick period, that needs recognition. I learned that I still enjoy writing and expressing my passionate opinions. I've learned that I get tired very easily and that 4 hours of sleep sounds right at the time but is tragically unhealthy. I've learned that even idiots get to go to college and sadly, KSU seems to be a breeding ground for idiot cultivation.

I've learned a lot and a little and reflection is healthy. I like the learning and the experience. And I will continue to do so in the next few weeks as I enter the cutthroat world of either waitressing or the familiar monotony of retail. To wherever the wind may take me. Hopefully there's a theatre that needs an aspiring actress because I could use a show now.

Hopefully I've inspired one person today. More updates will be made. Sweeney Todd is coming to the Fox in a couple of weeks so a foreshadowed update is already in the works. Good night and have a pleasant tomorrow.

No comments: