Thursday, May 15, 2008

Two Out Of Three Ain't Bad

Buckets pour from overhead and I forded the parking lot at Target, reminding me of my Oregon Trail days. So it is understood that the weather here is just short of a costa Rican summer.

The past couple of days have been eventful. The past few weeks I have been job hunting and I applied at 22 places (perhaps more, I've forgotten)
. I jumped through some hoops at Carrabba's, applied, came back, was told I passed their personality test but, oh, we're busy- come back tomorrow; came back to find that I hadn;t taken the test, took it and was told I can't be a server but they're looking for hostesses (who get paid $2.13 an hour plus tip share-which could potentially, for want of a better phrase, SUCK ASS) so come back Wednesday to speak to Mike. So I went back yesterday to speak with Mike after getting my hair done and running around the house to find nice clothing that wasn't wrinkled and was there for a total of 15 minutes. 5 of those minutes was speaking with him. Basically he told me if I fit the qualifications, he'll call me next week. Shook hands, grabbed a large handful of peppermints on my way out, and left.

I checked my email when I got home and found that there was the Enchanted April audition at Kudzu Playhouse that I had heard about previously. I knew I had the gas and played the "Should I or Shouldn't I" game until I decided to go and do it anyway. It called for a cold reading and I was already dressed up from my interview so I drove over and walked in. I waited to fill out my form because an older woman auditioning in front of me had the only pen and whilst filling out my audition sheet, she asked me, "What role are you audtioning for?"
"Rose, Lotty, or Costanza, " I replied. Costanza's part is completely in Italian and I could pick it up quockley. Plus one of my friends speaks it fluently.

She makes a comment that basically says, "I can tell by your age you aren't auditioning for the part I am." Snotty, much? She was auditioning for the old widow Mrs. Graves. I told her I played Mrs. Graves in a scene. If I were feeling saucy, I would have told her I have a talent for being cast as old, infertile women. But I didn't want to blow my chances or come of as a bitch.

I met the directer Adriana Warner, who is the snappiest, fiery old woman I've ever met. She has big glasses, is shorter than me, and wore the stock director's hat. She was very sweet and funny. She had me read many parts (mostly Rose and a little of Lady Caroline Bramble) and at around 9:45, we all left and she told us if we were chosen, she'd give us a call between 10 and noon the next day.

So this morning I'm getting ready for an interview with Bath and Body Works at the mall when at about 11:10 I got a phone call from Adriana telling me to come back on Tuesday for call backs! I'm blissfully excited! If I am cast, this will be my first show outside of a school production. I just need to get a script before then. And I get to use an English accent. Which shouldn't be too difficult seeing as I've had nineteen years of Dad chiming into my ear.

I then also received a phone call from Bugaboo Creek asking me if I wanted to come in at 2 for an interview. Seeing as I could, I obliged. I was told when I turned it in that they weren't hiring but they'd keep me on file.

I went to my B&B interview, which was a group interview. Something I was not entirely fond of. I acted cool and collected but I really do prefer to have an interview where it's me and the boss. She said she'd call us by Tuesday. Now that I think about it, I think that a group interview is not the most formal way of handling employees. And some people she asked more questions than others.

I leave and at this point, it is pissing down outside. I drive over to Bugaboo Creek and sit in my car, smoking a cigarette while trying to pass the next half hour. I eventually go in and am greeted by the hostess, who tells me to take a seat and offers me something to drink. I ask for a Coke and she tells me they only have Pepsi products, something I have not heard in a long time (they say they're Canadian. I guess authenticity has to start somewhere). I order a Mountain Dew and sit, humming along with the tunes that come in over the soft-spoken loudspeaker. I sit for a good while until I meet Susan, the assistant manager and my interviewer. I speak with her about my past job experiences and what I'm looking for in the next job. She asked about my availability , which I told her, as of now it is any time but it may change if I get in this show. She then asks her manager to come over and speak with me. He was a little more open ended with his questions. He asked me to tell him about myself and asked me my availability too. Basically a whole bunch of business stuff. He told me they really needed a hostess so come in with a black top, pants, and black shoes on Tuesday to file my paperwork!

So now I am employed and possibly will have a show to work on as well. Things are looking up for me and I am very excited. I hope my good fortuen smiles on everyone else too. It's really rainy but, hey, as Meatloaf said- two out of three ain't bad.

No comments: